Another update on these panels. I'm tempted to want to make a few more, to make a corridor. Not sure yet.
Another update on the sci-fi panels. Because of time-sake, I'll just focus on this. I had a small scene in mind, but I'll just scrap it. I've never really done much sci-fi panels. This has been challenging just trying to have it make sense in a way. Going to add a few bolts (I know I'm missing a few), and then will try and add some color to it.
I thought I'd join in #Blocktober, before I move out to Albany, NY. Here's my first attempt. I was aiming for something similar to the Gang Beasts game. I don't know if this thing goes on everyday or whenever, but I might try something totally different next time around.
This was based on The Shop on The Messenger game. I'm not entirely sure if this even counts as a blockout.
The 3rd one was based off of This is the Police 2.
Alright, announcement time. In October, I'll be joining Vicarious Visions! Over at Albany, NY! as an Environment Artist!
Looking forward to working with the team there. Going to try something new for a change.
I'm going to miss Seattle, but who knows, I might come back here or in SoCal. This will be a one year contract. I'll see how this goes. I'm liking the idea either way, giving this a shot.
It's been an interesting journey just going through hoops finding the next gig. It was great working at Hardsuit Labs, for as long as I did, on Bloodlines 2, and being there when Paradox announced the game at GDC earlier this year.
After that ended, it's been a fun ride jumping on board with Evil Noob, an indie team down in Miami, Florida, just for the sake of working with a team down there. And, having a chance to work with Airborn Studios was awesome.
But, now it's onward and upward, especially all the way in Albany, NY!
Going to try and wrap this up soon. I didn't get all of what I wanted, but for the most part, I wanted to dive on mainly creating foliage. The past few days has been boggling down on tests and some interviews. Something's locked down for sure, and I'll eventually have to pack up and get things moving. For now, I'll want to get most of this out the window before I move on to the next thing.
Back on some more foliage pieces. Made some leaf clusters for the trees, and some hanging pod flowers by the leaves, using what I made, along with the tree bark material. Went for a 2nd pass on the plants and flowers I made a while back. The vines, I'll work on those later.
I made some of the stems for the plants a bit thicker, just because they'll be fairly small. I'll most likely use of couple of those to break some of the space of just seeing so much green around the scene. Going to make a few more trees to replace what I added a while back.
Here's an update on the leaves. I've been trying out ways making some of the flowers and plants in SpeedTree. I'm still trying to wrap my head about the flowers, and making the back side of it. So far, I'm planning to make a couple of these, that'll be around the grass, to avoid just having a green grass look around the scene.
I initially was using a bunch of materials and textures from MegaScans and GameTextures, but decided to go back and make the foliage from scratch. They'll be fairly small, but for the most part, I just wanted to make them, for the sake of the portfolio piece. I didn't want to just fill up the majority of the scene with assets that aren't mine. Aside from the foliage cards, I'll probably go back and make a moss material that's covering the rocks, that's probably the only other material that's not mine (it was from Substance Source). The paint passes were done in ZBrush. I went the route of just using the Polypaint tool.
Small update on this scene. I'm in the phase of adding some grass. Using that LandscapeGrassOutput node in UE4.
It's basing it off of the grass material, of the 3 blends. I have 3 variations of grass, and 2 variations of the fern plants/clusters. This might all be overkill, but I'm just testing this out. I played through the Hitman 2 game again, and noticed that they have a ton of plants around for the player to use, to hide from the AI. I'm trying to find a fine line in between.
Just a while ago, I was debating on whether or not I should create the foliage plants on my own, or use what exists online. I'm using some materials from MegaScans and GameTextures, and am editing them out in SpeedTree. I have some plants that I grabbed off of from the SpeedTree store, that I plan on using, either working off of the graph nodes, or making some from scratch, and switching the textures completely.
I most likely will replace what I did, and recreate them, without heavily using the asset packs. I tested out making some grass, from scratch. I plan on refining this for the scene.
I posted this around just a while ago, on Twitter and Instagram. Just thought I'd leave a post here, to keep track on where I am now, on this scene.
Haven't been on this for quite a while. Made a texture pass on the stairs and the arch piece in the back. I might start on the trees and plants next. I've been holding off on that.
Been debating on how I would approach this. I have some packs I grabbed off of the SpeedTree store..
I'll most likely give it a shot, making some leaves and foliage, based on the tree packs I grabbed from the store.